06 Jun Sweetest Patient Compliments
Being a nurse is no easy job. It requires long hours, an unwavering commitment to serving others and hard work that often goes unnoticed. Hospitals simply wouldn’t be able to run without having an incredible team of nurses. Thankfully hard work does not always unnoticed. Over the years nurses receive praise and recognition from patients and their family members. Sometimes these comments are enough to make your day, or even your week! However, sometimes these compliments stick with a nurse for life. We asked a group of nurses what the kindest thing they had ever been told was, here is what they had to say:
- “In nursing school a patient told me ‘That smile of yours can heal a million souls’. I’ll never forget him”
- “I work in labor and delivery and I had a mom tell me ‘You were made for this, I’m going to call you for every baby that comes out of here’. I love being able to keep in touch with moms that I click with”.
- “The ones that really touch my heart are when patients say things like ‘I could not have gotten through this without you!’ or ‘I can tell you really love your job, you’re so good at it’”
- “I ran into an old patient of mine at a coffee shop. He looked at me and said ‘I remember you, you’re the one who saved my life’”
- “My patient on Monday told her family she wanted to leave the ICU because she didn’t want her loving nurses to watch her die. I told her I was honored to be there with her and her family”.
- “When giving parents discharge directions they asked me “Why haven’t you been our nurse before? We love you’”.
Being a nurse is hard work and it’s comments like these that make it all worth it. Nurses help save lives, deliver new life into the world, assist in recovery and are there to help families mourn when a life is lost. Even though most patients won’t say something incredibly memorable, that doesn’t mean you didn’t leave a lasting impression in their life. So when times get tough never underestimate your power as a nurse and your commitment to serving others.